Selwyn Snow Resort Shuts Early as Warm Weather Brings One of NSW’s Toughest Winters to an Abrupt End

2 min read

Winter has ended early in the NSW alps, with Selwyn Snow Resort becoming the first ski field to close after a season defined by warm temperatures, rain and a stubborn lack of snow. Management confirmed the decision on Saturday, calling it one of the most difficult seasons the resort has faced in recent years.

General manager Abi Spackman said the call to close was “hard,” but unavoidable. Last week’s rain and warmer conditions stripped away what little snow remained. “We were hoping for more snow‑making temperatures and more natural snow,” she said. “While we did have piles of snow that we were ready to push out, I think we were just too far gone.”

Selwyn shut its lifts eight days before winter officially ends, and two weeks earlier than its 2025 season. The early closure reflects broader challenges across Australia’s alpine regions. Victoria’s Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort has also announced it will wrap up operations on Monday.

Traditionally, NSW’s major ski destinations Perisher and Thredbo aim to operate until the October long weekend, still six weeks away. Charlotte Pass typically closes in mid‑September. But this year’s weather has been anything but typical.

The NSW alps recorded their warmest June in decades, a blow that Spackman said shaped the entire season. “We were all hoping winter was just late, but I think it was a bad season, unfortunately,” she said.

With temperatures staying high and snowfall remaining scarce, resorts across the region are now confronting the reality of a winter that never truly arrived.

 

 

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours