Man Arrested After Alleged Threat Targeting Melbourne’s Bourke Street

1 min read

A 31‑year‑old man has been arrested in Melbourne’s CBD after allegedly phoning a threat to Channel Nine in Sydney, prompting a rapid police response and heightened patrols across the city on Wednesday evening.

Inspector Dale Huntingdon said the caller allegedly made threats relating to Melbourne’s CBD, with Bourke Street mentioned among “a few” possible locations. Channel Nine immediately contacted Crime Stoppers, triggering an urgent investigation.

Police tracked the man to a McDonald’s on Swanston Street just after 7:30pm, where uniformed officers and the Critical Incident Response Team moved in to arrest him without incident.

Inspector Huntingdon said police treat all threats seriously and act as swiftly as possible to ensure public safety. Melbourne City Council staff had earlier been advised via text message to avoid the Bourke Street area after 7pm as a precaution.

Despite the alarming nature of the alleged threat, police confirmed there was no danger to the public. Extra officers were deployed throughout the CBD as part of the response, and the investigation remains ongoing.

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours