A coalition of leading Bangladeshi publishing houses, operating under the banner Prakashak Oikyo, has announced it will withdraw from this year’s Amar Ekushey Boimela, alleging mismanagement, unequal treatment and a breach of commitments made by government authorities.
In a statement issued late Saturday, the group said its decision was not an act of opposition to the book fair or the newly elected government, but a demand for urgent corrective action to protect the publishing industry. They called for all pavilion reservations to be cancelled and for equal‑sized stalls to be allotted to every publisher, ensuring a level playing field.
Claims of Unfair Advantage and Lack of Transparency
Prakashak Oikyo alleged that several “low‑quality” publishing houses had gained an early and unfair advantage by beginning pavilion construction long before others an opportunity they say arose because those publishers did not join the earlier boycott movement. With only three days left before the fair, most mainstream houses say they have neither the time nor the allocated space to build their stalls.
The group also criticised the authorities, including Bangla Academy, for failing to allocate specific stall locations through the usual lottery system. Without confirmed sites, publishers say they cannot begin constructing makeshift stalls, connect electricity, paint, or decorate making participation “impossible.”
Who Is in the Group?
Prakashak Oikyo claims to represent around 300 publishers, including 90% of the country’s major and mainstream houses such as:
Ahmad Publishing House
Kakoli
Ananya
Anna Prakash
Adorn
Kathaprakash
Batighar Prakashani
Prathama
Rhythm
Laboni
Panjeree Publications
Iti Prakashan
University Press Limited
Adarsha Prakashani
They argue that pavilion construction typically requires at least 10 days, a timeline now impossible for most leading houses.
Broken Commitments After February 18 Meeting
The dispute intensified after a February 18 meeting between publishers and government officials, where Cultural Minister Nitai Roy Chowdhury proposed waiving stall rents to offset expected financial losses during Ramadan. Publishers had been protesting the decision to hold the fair during the fasting month, fearing low turnout.
During that meeting, major publishers agreed to withdraw their movement on the condition that no pavilions would be allowed only stalls of up to five units each. They say the Bangla Academy chief agreed to this.
However, the publishers claim the government’s post‑meeting press statements omitted this agreement, and on Saturday evening, the cultural secretary informed them that existing and under‑construction pavilions would not be removed.
Publishers Say They Were Left Waiting
Despite assurances, publishers say they waited days for official confirmation, only to be told at the last moment that the pavilions would remain prompting their collective withdrawal.
Prakashak Oikyo says the authorities’ delays, lack of clarity and “unjust provisions” have created an uneven competition that undermines the spirit of the fair.



+ There are no comments
Add yours